Visit the historic Lancashire Textile Project with over 500 photos and 190 taped interviews|2|0
gearce
Regular Member

941 Posts
Posted -  18/07/2009  :  03:25
Here's a short poem which I found in a newspaper some years ago ...... It's somewhat yellowed over the years, but it is still readable.

Image cut from newspaper

Edited by - gearce on 5/08/2009 10:30

LANG MEY YER LUM REEK

There are hundreds of languages in the world, but a smile speaks them all
 Smile
Replies
Author

Stanley
Local Historian & Old Fart

36804 Posts
Posted - 16/08/2010 : 07:36
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00td4v8

Have a look at this for some wonderfully emotive stuff.

Stanley Challenger Graham

Barlick View
stanley at barnoldswick.freeserve.co.uk Go to Top of Page
gearce
Regular Member

941 Posts
Posted - 26/08/2010 : 10:39
FORTY YEARS AFTER

e climbed to the top of Goat Point hill,
    Sweet Kitty, my sweetheart, and I;
And watched the moon make stars on the waves,
    And the dim white ships go by,
While a throne we made on a rough stone wall,
    And the king and the queen were we;
And I sat with my arm about Kitty,
    And she with her arm about me.

The water was mad in the moonlight,
    And the sand like gold where it shone,
And our hearts kept time to its music,
    As we sat in the splendour alone.
And Kitty's dear eyes twinkled brightly,
    And Kitty's brown hair blew so free,
While I sat with my arm about Kitty,
    And she with her arm about me.

Last night we drove in our carriage,
    To the wall at the top of the hill;
And though we're forty years older,
    We're children and sweethearts still.
And we talked again of that moonlight
    That danced so mad on the sea,
When I sat with my arm about Kitty,
    And she with her arm about me.

The throne on the wall was still standing,
    But we sat in the carriage last night,
For a wall is too high for old people
    Whose foreheads have linings of white.
And Kitty's waist measure is forty,
    While mine is full fifty and three,
So I can't get my arm about Kitty,
    Nor can she get both hers around me.

                                             H. H. Porter.

LANG MEY YER LUM REEK

There are hundreds of languages in the world, but a smile speaks them all
 Smile Go to Top of Page
gearce
Regular Member

941 Posts
Posted - 07/09/2010 : 05:27
Here's a couple of Grandmas and Computers poems you might like.

Grandma's on the Internet
by Dorothy Costello

  randma's on the internet
You won't believe the nuts she's met
But what she'd really like to know
Is - Where are those who quilt and sew
And do the things she likes to do?
She'd give them hints, and learn some too.

She used to be "scared" of a wee little mouse
Would scream if one ever got in the house.
Now she hugs one night and day
She'd rather cuddle it than stay
On the couch and watch t.v.
Her first love now is her P.C.

She'd like to see it all unfurled
So much to learn in this new world.
She could explore it from her chair
But mostly, she plays solitaire
But that's o.k. she doesn't care
About the weather in Zaire.

Windows were glass she'd wash and look through
Now they are programs to help us all view
The earth and the sea and the beautiful sky
A virus was something from which you could die
Now it's a nuisance that could spoil your day,
But it can be fixed and sent on it's way.

She served her time with diapers and dishes.
Now she can do whatever she wishes
And if that means staying up half the night
To point arrows at icons-that's really alright.

A bit was something you had little of.
Now it takes eight bytes to make the above
It's all so confusing, it makes her head ache.
A byte was something you take from a cake.
She's learning more about it now
Her four year old grandchild showed her how.

Grandma's Connected
Author Unknown

 n the not too distant past
I remember very well
Grandmas tended to their knitting
And their cookies were just swell.

They were always at the ready
When you needed some advice
And their sewing (I can tell you)
Was available and nice.

Well, Grandma hasn't deserted you
She dearly loves you still
You just won't find her cooking
But she's right there at the till.

She thinks about you daily
You haven't been forsook
Your photos are quite handy
In her Pentium Notebook.

She scans your artwork now though
And combines it with cool sounds
To make electronic greetings
She prints pictures by the pounds.

She's right there when you need her
You really aren't alone
She's out now with her "Puter Pals"
And she has her new cell phone.

You can also leave a message
On her answering machine
Or page her at the fun meet
She's been there since nine-fifteen.

Yes, the world's a very different place
There is no doubt of that
So, "E" her from your web page
Or join her in a chat.

She's joined the electronic age
And it really seems to suit her
So don't expect the same old gal
Cause Grandma's gone "computer."

LANG MEY YER LUM REEK

There are hundreds of languages in the world, but a smile speaks them all
 Smile Go to Top of Page
gearce
Regular Member

941 Posts
Posted - 23/10/2010 : 03:23
I know it's spread over the internet, but this will save you a search.

The Ripples Don’t Have to be Large

The young man spoke to the elder one,
"I’m just not important," he said
I haven’t accomplished a notable deed
to be remembered for after I’m dead."

The old man took pebbles of varying size.
And one-by-one tossed in the pond.
Each pebble created a splash as it hit,
and the ripples spread far and beyond.

"Individual pebbles, from smallest to large,
create their own ripples to send,
as each capability dictates.
Then finally, each ripple will end."

"Some ripples last longer than others,
but finally, all disappear,
leaving the pond surface tranquil.
Just quiet, peaceful and clear."

"The pebbles are likened to people,"  he said,
"And the water a symbol for earth,
The ripple is each person’s presence in life.
It measures not value nor worth."

"The size matters not of the ripple we make.
In time all are gone from the view.
Of all of the ripples that formed in the pond,
don’t forget there was one caused by you."

"In the final analysis, your impact on life,
be the magnitude greater or small,
In the memory of someone you always will be.
No one is remembered by all."

LANG MEY YER LUM REEK

There are hundreds of languages in the world, but a smile speaks them all
 Smile Go to Top of Page
gearce
Regular Member

941 Posts
Posted - 01/11/2010 : 02:49
On Your Wedding Day
-- by John T. Baker

While you're now celebrating your wedding
And your dreams contemplate Paradise,
Though you may disagree,
will you please pardon me
If I offer a bit of advice.

Don't expect every day to be sunny;
Be prepared for occasional rain;
It may start with a kiss,
but connubial bliss
Is a medley of pleasure and pain.

But it's great to team up with a partner,
For this life is a journey for two;
You may triumph or fail,
come to grief or prevail,
You're together whatever you do.

May you often take time to be happy,
May your love grow and grow through the years;
To rejoice more and more,
when you add up the score,
Just remember the laughs, not the tears.

LANG MEY YER LUM REEK

There are hundreds of languages in the world, but a smile speaks them all
 Smile Go to Top of Page
gearce
Regular Member

941 Posts
Posted - 08/11/2010 : 06:44
Owed Two A Spell Chequer:

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Author: Unknown

LANG MEY YER LUM REEK

There are hundreds of languages in the world, but a smile speaks them all
 Smile Go to Top of Page
catgate
Senior Member

1764 Posts
Posted - 08/11/2010 : 13:11
Wonderful.

Every silver lining has a cloud.

Go to Top of Page
Tizer
VIP Member

5150 Posts
Posted - 08/11/2010 : 16:27
Should it have said "Author: unknoan"?

Go to Top of Page
gearce
Regular Member

941 Posts
Posted - 10/11/2010 : 02:34
The word shoe used were a mist ache
My chequer tolled me sew.
"Awe for: un non" bee kame ok
I fought hewed like two no.

LANG MEY YER LUM REEK

There are hundreds of languages in the world, but a smile speaks them all
 Smile Go to Top of Page
gus
Regular Member

704 Posts
Posted - 11/11/2010 : 08:17
THE  FINAL INSPECTION

> The soldier stood and faced God,
> Which must always come to pass.
> He hoped his shoes were shining,
> Just as brightly as his brass.
>
> "Step forward now, you  soldier,
> How shall I deal with you?
> Have you always turned the other cheek?
> To My Church have you been true?"
>
> The soldier squared his shoulders and said,
> 'No, Lord, I guess I ain't.
> Because those of us who carry  guns,
> Can't always be a saint.
>
> I've had to work most Sundays,
> And at times my talk was tough.
> And sometimes I've been violent,
> Because the world is awfully rough.
>
> But, I never took a penny,
> That wasn't mine to keep...
> Though I worked a lot of overtime,
> When the bills got just too steep.
>
> And I never passed a cry for help,
> Though at times I shook with fear.
> And sometimes, God, forgive me,
> I've wept unmanly tears.
>
> I know I don't deserve a place,
> Among the people here.
> They never wanted me around,
> Except to calm their fears.
>
> If you've a place for me here, Lord,
> It needn't be so grand.
> I never expected or had too much,
> But if you don't, I'll understand.
>
> There was a silence all  around the throne,
> Where the saints had often trod.
> As the soldier waited quietly,
> For the judgment of his God.
>
> 'Step forward  now, you soldier,
> You've borne your burdens  well..
> Walk peacefully on Heaven's  streets,
> You've done your time in Hell.'
>
> Author Unknown~

Gus

http://www.flickr.com/photos/angusbrennan/
Go to Top of Page
gearce
Regular Member

941 Posts
Posted - 12/11/2010 : 08:46
Great reading.

Whether or not what is said is true, the site below purports it to be written by an American Serviceman and who added a Part Two because, in his words,
"I'm very saddened by America today,
when they take credit for what others say."

This is the site

While I was at it, I did some further checking on the 'Owed Two A Spell Chequer' poem which I posted and which was by Author unknown. Again, whether or not what is said is true, the original of this was titled 'Candidate for a Pullet Surprise' and was written by Mark Eckman and Jerrold H. Zar.

Edit:
Further checking reveals that by clicking on the highlighted 'Dr. Jerrold H. Zar' in the second line of the second paragraph takes you to Dr. Zar's website and clicking on 'Complete correct poem' under the heading Spelling Checker Poem opens a .pdf file which confirms the information.

Something else which I found, though not about spell checking, was a poem 'THE CHAOS', by Gerard Nolst Trenité, written from the viewpoint of the foreign learner of the English language.

Edited by - gearce on 13/11/2010 14:21

LANG MEY YER LUM REEK

There are hundreds of languages in the world, but a smile speaks them all
 Smile Go to Top of Page
thomo
Barlick Born Old Salt

2021 Posts
Posted - 13/11/2010 : 17:43
Very good that Gearce, thank God mine speaks English, or Swahili, or Arabic, Hebrew and ad infinitum.

thomo Go to Top of Page
Stanley
Local Historian & Old Fart

36804 Posts
Posted - 20/04/2011 : 04:58
Never see that before Tiz. A poetical cook short of paper? Got this today, From the New York Literery review.

The newly elected governor of Maine, Paul LePage, is outspoken. He said that after his election readers could expect to see in their newspapers, “LePage tells Obama to go to hell.” When he refused to attend a Martin Luther King Day event, he said of the NAACP, “Tell them they can kiss my butt.” Not to be outdone by other Republican governors who are attacking unions, over the weekend he ordered the removal of a 36-foot mural celebrating labor from the lobby of the state Labor Department building in Augusta, and is retitling its conference rooms to remove the names of past labor leaders. His reason? They might make businessmen uncomfortable. How many such businessmen visit the Labor Department? And how many faint with panic at the sight of a mural that depicts historical scenes from Maine’s labor movement, like women building ships during World War II, and a 1986 paper strike?

Judy Taylor Studio

Panels 8-11 of the Maine Labor Department mural by Judy Taylor

This ranks with the most famous removal of a mural from a public building in America, when John D. and Nelson Rockefeller destroyed a large painting they had themselves commissioned in 1932 from the famous Mexican painter Diego Rivera for their new Rockefeller Center building. Rivera called the painting “Man at the Crossroads,” and he included in the choices facing workers during the Depression a portrait of Lenin. When told he must remove the portrait, he refused, saying the commissioners knew his leftist record when they asked him to do the painting. He said he would balance the portrait with one of Lincoln. After the Rockefellers destroyed his art work in 1934, he recreated it in the Palace of Fine Arts in Mexico City, adding a portrait of John D. Rockefeller in a nightclub. The fracas inspired the best satirical poem of the century, by E. B. White. Can anyone match this for the dumb Maine governor?

I Paint What I See

[A Ballad of Artistic Integrity]

“What do you paint, when you paint on a wall?”

Said John D.’s grandson Nelson.

“Do you paint just anything there at all?

“Will there be any doves, or a tree in fall?

“Or a hunting scene, like an English hall?”

“I paint what I see,” said Rivera

“What are the colors you use when you paint?”

Said John D.’s grandson Nelson.

“Do you use any red in the beard of a saint?

“If you do, is it terribly red, or faint?

“Do you use any blue? Is it Prussian?”

“I paint what I paint,” said Rivera

“Whose is that head that I see on my wall?”

Said John D.’s grandson Nelson.

“Is it anyone’s head whom we know at all?

“A Rensselaer or a Saltonstall?

“Is it Franklin D.? Is it Mordaunt Hall?

“Or is it the head of a Russian?”

“I paint what I think,” said Rivera.

“I paint what I paint, I paint what I see,

“I paint what I think,” said Rivera

“And the thing that is dearest in life to me

“In a bourgeois hall is integrity;

However…

“I’ll take out a couple of people drinkin’

“And put in a picture of Abraham Lincoln.

“I could even give you McCormick’s reaper

“And still not make my art much cheaper.

“But the head of Lenin has got to stay

“Or my friends will give me the bird today,

“The bird, the bird, forever.”

“It’s not good taste in a man like me,”

Said John D.s grandson Nelson,

“To question an artist’s integrity

“Or mention a practical thing like a fee.

“But I know what I like to a large degree.

“Though art I hate to hamper,

“For twenty-one thousand conservative bucks

“You painted a radical. I say shucks,

“I never could rent the offices—

“The capitalistic offices.

“For this, as you know, is a public hall,

“And people want doves, or a tree in fall,

“And though your art I dislike to hamper,

“I owe a little to God and Gramper.

“And after all,

“It’s my wall.”

“We’ll see if it is,” said Rivera.

“I Paint What I See” is reprinted with permission of White Literary LLC.

Stanley Challenger Graham

Barlick View
stanley at barnoldswick.freeserve.co.uk Go to Top of Page

gearce
Regular Member

941 Posts
Posted - 31/08/2011 : 05:17
Here's something I received in an email this morning from a friend and which I thought someone might like to read ...... YES I did check the internet and it is there but this will save you looking it up.

TO: God.Com

Dear Lord,

Every single evening
As I'm lying here in bed,
This tiny little Prayer
Keeps running through my head:

God bless all my family
Wherever they may be,
Keep them warm and safe from harm
For they're so close to me.

And God, there is one more thing
I wish that you could do;
Hope you don't mind me asking,
Please bless my computer too.

Now I know that it's unusual
To Bless a motherboard,
But listen just a second
While I explain it to you, Lord.

You see, that little metal box
Holds more than odds and ends;
Inside those small compartments
Rest so many of my friends.

I know so much about them
By the kindness that they give,
And this little scrap of metal
Takes me in to where they live.

By faith is how I know them
Much the same as you.
We share in what life brings us
And from that our friendships grew..

Please take an extra minute
From your duties up above,
To bless those in my address book
That's filled with so much love.

Wherever else this prayer may reach
To each and every friend,
Bless each e-mail inbox
And each person who hits 'send'.

When you update your Heavenly list
On your own Great CD-ROM,
Bless everyone who says this prayer
Sent up to GOD.Com

Amen

LANG MEY YER LUM REEK

There are hundreds of languages in the world, but a smile speaks them all
 Smile Go to Top of Page
gearce
Regular Member

941 Posts
Posted - 31/08/2011 : 06:03
quote:
Sue wrote:
I have agood poem that my local librarian gave me , its about a group of lads, one called Widdup on a trip to Blackpool. I will have to find it and type it up here

 Sue

 PS I have never worked out which Widdup it is !

quote:
gearce wrote:
Is that the one 'Hevin' a spree at Blackpool'? ...... One day Billy Swaddles, Dick Widdup and me ...... No I don't know the poem ...... Did some cheating ...... Looking forward to reading it

Sue is
this the poem to which you were referring? ...... I have only just gone back to this subject ...... Unfortunately the person who replied to my question is unable to remember it all.

LANG MEY YER LUM REEK

There are hundreds of languages in the world, but a smile speaks them all
 Smile Go to Top of Page
Topic is 6 Pages Long:

Set us as your default homepage Bookmark us Privacy   Copyright © 2004-2011 www.oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk All Rights Reserved. Design by: Frost SkyPortal.net Go To Top Of Page

Page load time - 0.688