Click here to register on OneGuyFromBarlick|2|1
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Keeper of the Scrolls

2010 Posts
Posted -  27/04/2004  :  17:33
PART 2 of 2 - W.P. Atkinson


1850. CLUB DAYS AND CLUB WALKS. The Club-day was undoubtedly the red-letter day of the whole year in Barlick, June 24th. And formerly these processions went to service at Gill Church, there being a special service there on that date, said to be in connection with the Daubers Dole and this festival was then for some years carried out in an orderly and inexpensive manner until Barlick in later years became more ‘flush o' brass’. Then it was that Societies began to engage the expensive Brass
Bands and also to hire the full regalia from their High Courts Store for these special occasions. After all this the Clubs discontinued their attendance at the Parish Church and marched round by way of Bancrofts, accompanied by their respective Bands, finally returning to the steaming hot dinner awaiting them at the different public houses where a stand was erected for each band while after dinner and the usual smoke the music was continued alternately at the several stands for the remainder of the day. All these attractions, which brought hundreds of visitors from the neighbouring places, soon became almost unbearable in the street with thirty stalls of sweets, fruits and pop all amongst the crowd. It was said that one could have walked on people's heads and also what about the bairns? Hence it became necessary to have a Gala Field with bandstand in centre and each band to play in their turns while various kinds of sports were also provided in addition to the music till after the sun went down. Then ‘Johnny goes marching home, again, hurrah, hurrah,’ And the magic spell of music no longer contains the dear old rat-tat, rat-tat. The Glusburn Brass Band always finished up the Club-Day with the same tune Which seemed to say: Let this night be e’re so dark. Lat it be wet or windy. I will return safe back again. To the girl I left behind me.

The Gala Field proved very successful and was a great improvement on the crowded street while everybody contributed their wee bit toward the expenses of the Club-Day. It is sometimes said that ‘all things come to an end’ and assuredly this great festive day was no exception for after it was changed to the Saturday the same gradually lost its charms and before 1880 the Club Walk day had become a thing of the past, and the clubs also (with one exception) ceased to exist, having sold their property and ‘divided up’ while each member received their proportionate share according to scale.
In the latter years of one of these Societies there came an electric ‘shock’ after which confidence became shaken with the ultimate result that this Club also divided up in 1881-1882.

Bacup and Black Dyke Bands seemed to be the favourites amongst the rest of other Bands. The following is a verse taken from the title page of an old Bye-Laws Book in use by the Forrester’s Court, Henry De Lacy No. 107, dated 1837 and held at the house of Ann Edmondson, Cross Keys Inn Barnoldswick.

‘These laws, though human, spring from those divine.
Love laid the scheme love guides the whole design
Vile is the many who will evade these laws
Or taste the sweets without sufficient cause.’

1855. Or about this time Mr. Bracewell rejoined the Wesleyan Society.

1861. Power looms were run in Clough and Coates old Mills for a short time by water power and chiefly so by the former employees at Butts. This was said to be done as commission work by these new beginners. Shortly after this time a ‘storm began to brew’ between two of the leading men of the town, namely Mr. William Bracewell and Mr. James Nuttall which lasted for several years. This lamentable struggle upset the town and party felling ran very high with Law Suits and turmoil of which there seemed to be no end. The ‘Water Rights’ the chief bone of contention, while the worst part of this business was that some of it’s keenest supporters reduced themselves to penury. However, the writer has no desire to dwell upon this, or kindred subjects.

1857. The fate of the Old Bell at the Wesleyan Chapel. This memorable ‘Call to Prayer' was taken down from the place which still remains on the top of the gable nearest the town and removed to the Butts Mill and there placed in the stone work already prepared for such purposes over the penny office which still remains intact. The Blacksmith (Tom Walker) was unable to hang the bell properly, with the result that it never became useful as a ‘call to work’, while on one occasion during a temporary breakdown, the old Bell came to grief. by the action of a young-man who climbed a ladder with hammer in hand which he used with such zeal that the Bell resented his treatment and suddenly cracked, then flat went the music of this old relic, never more to be heard. Soon after this the ‘Sirens’ was adopted in 1855 at the Mill
and could be heard on Malham Moors nearly twenty miles distance. What about the peaceful slumbers of the natives? Surely ‘use had to become second nature.’

1858 to 1859. NEW DAY SCHOOL, the first to be connected with the Wesleyan Chapel erected adjoining the old Chapel on Jepp-Hill and two stories high with steps outside. (All this block of buildings now form the Town Hall) The first Headmaster was William N. Trevor with Miss Baldwin (now Mrs. Gregg) and Joseph Marshall as first pupil teachers. These two last named are still living, Mrs Gregg In Barlick and Mr. Marshall retired at Black-pool.

1861 to 1862. NEW DAY SCHOOLS. These handsome and commodious schools were erected by the Wesleyans in Rainhall Road and were an ornament to the town.

A short story connected with the sweet toned old Bell (before mentioned) When memory lingers and loves to call back stories of youthful bygone days then it is that the patience of a reader becomes sorely tried. A few years previous to the removal and discontinuation of those sacred chimes which were duly performed by old. Jemmy Waterworth the Chapel Keeper and candle-snuffer and all other Sunday and
weekday duties combined, for the nominal sum of 2/6 a week. This devoted old servant little thought that his six o’clock Bell was being used for any other purpose than the one for which it was originally intended, watches being scarce. And yet such
was the case in at least one instance which came to the writer’s knowledge, and Blue Pot Lane figures in this little old story as the regular meeting place of two stout young men as previously arranged, at the sound of the six o' clock Bell. All this was done in order that Tommy Corwen and Tom Windle might enjoy each others company for a full mile at the end of which there were some magnetic influences at work which could not be restrained. And in due time these attractions became so powerful that eventually two strapping young women put an end to Tommy and Tom's journeys to Salterforth by having their surnames changed and coming to live with them and help to make them comfortable at their new homes, now at old Barlick in A.D. 1849.

1852 to 1877. GAS and services at places of worship, gas being very expensive. The price being for many years 7/6 per 1000 feet. A great number of places and private houses used paraffin lamps until this commodity became somewhat reduced in price after which time gas became more generally adopted. Mr. Bracewell laid all the gas mains and supplied the public with the same. The services at the Chapels were at half past two and six o'clock up to about 1877 when they adopted the half-past ten morning service and discontinued the afternoon service. Up to about 1868 there were very few evening services at St, James’s Church. However they have been regularly continued up to 1915 starting at half-past six, with morning service at half-past ten and Gill Church at half past two, except on the first Sunday in each month when the morning service is held in the Parish Church and commences at 11 o'clock.

1868. For several years before this time the church people were anxious to have an evening service at St James’s church. Of course, the vicar, the Rev. R Milner was advancing in years and cou1d not see his way to undertake three services on a Sunday while the Churchwarden Mr. Henry Waite did not encourage such new-fangled ideas and plainly asserted himself by saying ‘I think there is daylight enough to worship God if you only made good use of it.’ However with the introduction of a new organ on May 24th 1868 at a cost of £105 the evening service became an accomplished fact.
Soon after this the respected old Vicar died in 1870 aged 69 years and the Rev S H Ireson became vicar of this parish, his first sermon was 21st August 1870.

1861 to 1865. AMERICAN CIVIL WAR. ‘Dole Times’ Or ‘Cotton Famine’. These were indeed times of distress caused by the Mills stopping for two and three weeks at a time it being impossible to obtain any raw cotton from America. However as soon as this material began to arrive from Egypt in moderate quantities and also from India called Surat (and this of an inferior quality) there was some slight improvement in trade, and this, together with the allowance of cash received from the Mansion House Funds somewhat mitigated the existing state of want in the town. These ‘Doles’ were administered by a local committee, either by way of cash, or special tickets made out to suit the wants of the receiver, either for food at the grocers shops, or for clothing or clogs at other places. All such tickets being issued at regular intervals by the Dole Committee which came as a ‘boon and a blessing to man’ in poor modern Barlick. At this crisis all kinds of devices were resorted to in order to try and procure more cotton, while even cotton flock beds were utilized for this purpose and mixed up with the raw material at the Mills. The Rev R. Milner, as Chairman of the Local Dole Committee, was deputed to London in order to secure a fair share of the accumulated wealth at the Mansion House for his needy parishioners and a better man could not have been sent on this urgent errand of mercy, judging from his past achievements in that capacity and the former results obtained by him inasmuch as he, Mr. Milner, was called the ‘best beggar’ in the Parish and as such he proved himself to be by his pleadings at the Mansion House on this occasion which resulted in a handsome sum of money being allotted to poor modern Barlick.

1862. September the 29th. This exact date of the Vicar's visit to London, is still cherished by the writer, inasmuch as on account of Mr Milner's unavoidable absence on this special business at the Mansion House, a neighbouring clergyman (Mr. Hayes) had to attend at Gill Church to perform a certain clerical duty in connection with a great event in the history of the writer's life.

1864. BIBLE HAWKING. At this time Mr. Edward Slater, who had recently the misfortune to lose one of his arms whilst following his occupation at the Wellhouse Mill, ‘Ned’ as he was called, commenced a new business and outside Barlick, which eventually covered a district of at least a hundred miles. This was called ‘Bible Hawking’ and Ned employed a large staff of Agents and collectors while in after years, other Barlick young men followed the same train of business, which in some instances embraced the jewellery and watch trade also. And most of this hawking was done on the instalment system. A certain sum being first paid down, and the remainder being afterwards received by the collector and under this system the vendors had to charge more than ordinary market prices for their goods in order to cover the expenses of the collecting Agents and other losses in connection with this rather risky business which came in for a fair share of criticism by the ‘dogs in the manger’ at home. While this system of hawking was carried on for more than twenty years and after the death of its founder poor Ned in 1885 aged 45 years. The writer of this article comments from an unbiased standpoint and maintains that Barlick ultimately reaped the greatest benefit from this enterprise by this accumulation of wealth which has been spent in, and for, the welfare of the town. First by assisting in the promotion and formation of companies and next by these same energetic young men becoming manufacturers and employers of labour themselves. Then let it be said ‘honour unto whom honour is due’ both to the living and unto all those who in their day and generation did ‘bear the heat of the day’ and are now gone to their rest.

1864. Coates New Shed to be erected. In this enterprise Mr. James Nuttall was the leading man and the building, when completed to hold 300 looms, and undoubtedly was built as a ‘refuge place’ for would-be manufacturers who had been thwarted in their endeavours to become such at Coates Old Mill and then deprived of the water power at that place which put an end to their efforts for time being. However, as it is said, ‘it is money that makes the mare go’ and unfortunately there seemed to be a shortage of this important commodity and this caused considerable delay in the erection of this new shed and sometimes it was humorously remarked that the builders ought to be supported and encouraged with ‘Brass Hammers’ in order to get the work completed. However, patience and perseverance at last were crowned with success and this, the fourth shed in or near Barlick, became a source of employment and has ever since those times of ‘big dog, and little dog struggles’, added its share to the welfare and prosperity of the town. ‘Evil be to him that evil thinks.’

1865. For some years after this time there was quite a ‘lull’ in the building of mills or sheds in Barlick and all seemed to be at a standstill in that direction. The only development of the town was in cottages and shop property, and the first move was made at Clough Shed by an extension of 100 looms in 1868, with room over the same for preparing Woollen Weft, which was in a few years discontinued and looms were chiefly substituted, the same being run by Mr. Stephen Pickles. While after a lapse of ten years, in 1879, a new mill was built at Clough but abandoned as a Mill in 1880 and part machinery intended for the same was taken to Canada with Mr. Clayton Slater's removal to that Colony in 1880. The New Mill at Clough was owned by John Slater & Sons by whom room and power were let to a number of individuals or firms at this time. 1880. [Clough] This was said to be the real start of Barlick’s prosperity in the expansion of the weaving industry and the whole mill was soon filled with looms and other machinery necessary required for the same. One hundred and forty-four looms on each floor, making a total of 576 looms on the four first floors, while the loft was jointly used for preparation purposes for same.

1880. The following a few of the names associated with that new venture and some of whom are still carrying on the manufacturing business in Barlick. Nutters, Edmondsons, Slaters. Windles, Ormerods, Brooks, Browns, Bowkers and many others, either in company or otherwise. Bob Foulds, of loose reed fame, having previous to this time removed his looms from the Old Mill and taken them to County Brook, commonly called ‘The Stew Mill’. This host of plodding new manufacturers at C1ough Mill and Coates Shed were sometimes called the fraternity of ‘Thine and mine and me cousins’.

This new adventure started in an humble way in a small cottage opposite the gable-end of the present Craven-Liverpool Bank with perhaps not more than twenty members. However, after occupying three different premises with varied improvements, this Society erected its own first shop in I870, namely, opposite the Bethesda Chapel and it is already well known that they have continued to prosper and extend, until a membership of 1850 has been reached in 1915 with a corresponding number of branch shops all over the Town in addition to the large and. ornamental shops In Albert Road while all these shops are now required in their various departments in order to cope with this immense business, which has grown with the town and during its sixty years of existence.

1861. For a few years after the Co-operative Society was formed their business was conducted chiefly in the evenings and this by the Committee, somewhat on the free gospel principle. However at this time (census year) a proper shop was rented by them across from Jepp Hill bottom and these premises were opened daily while

Old John Sellers was in sole charge of the same for some years. The-old gentleman loved to be a bit comical at times and particularly so when he thought that anybody was trying to get at him. It so happened that on this occasion when Mr. John Petty called for the census paper which he had to collect, and while carefully looking over this document he said in a friendly and congratulatory way to Mr Sellers; ‘John. You will be about the oldest man in the town.’ ‘Eh! Marry I.’ said Old John, ‘I var like sal if I live long enough!’ [I very like shall be …] However time and tide which wait
for no man has changed all this, and the Co-operative Industrial Society Limited has in 1915 a working staff in their various departments of 55 employees.

1866. Foul Syke Beck, and our neighbours at Bracewell.
At this time the Foul Syke Stream was bridged over by Mr. Stephen Broughton (mason and his sons.) This beck, which forms the Parish Boundary of Barlick and Bracewell, was a very difficult and dangerous stream to ford in flood times although there was a foot-bridge, this could not be reached without climbing over the fence and back again when reaching the same (at both ends) While the two streams at Bracewell, which were much smaller, had a few years previous to this time been bridged over, this took place before the death of Robert Hopwood Esquire, then the owner of the Bracewell Estate. Some few years after this event, Mr. John Turner Hopwood, son of the former, and heir to the estate, commenced to erect in 1868 a fine
Mansion on the site of the old Hall sometimes called ‘Abbey’ and in close proximity to the old Parish Church of St. Michael. (older than Gill) However Mr, Hopwood’s sojourn at Bracewell of Organ fame was very brief, only about five years, after which the new Hall became vacant and has remained so almost ever since. It may be remembered by old musicians in Barlick that Mr. Hopwood was a musical man who spent large sums of money on new organs during his short residence at Bracewell. First a fairly good instrument for the Church (which took the place of the useful little organ which found Its way to Bolton-by-Bolland Church) And the next, a very large instrument replaced the new organ in the church while yet another yet another large organ was placed in Mr. Hopwood’s large room at the Hall. This was a magnificent instrument built by one of the best firm in Paris. Thus there were frequent organ recitals in the Hall to which friends were invited and Mr. Fred. Archer of Crystal Palace usually presided on such occasions while Dr Spark of Leeds Town Hall presided at services in the church to overflowing congregations (musical Earby included) After the conclusion of one of these services Dr. Spark made a humorous remark while congratulating the officials and said, ‘I am sure you will have a good collection as I do know that the organist subscribed an unlimited number of notes!’ After all these services and other entertainments which were most enjoyable in this ‘Corner of Craven’ people naturally thought that Mr. Hopwood had ‘come to stay’ at Bracewell. However, such was not the case, and music lovers were disappointed and all hopes of future entertainments thus came to an end.

It is to be regretted that the large organ in the church dedicated to the ‘Glory of God’ in memory of Mr. Hopwood’s late father was some years after sold to the Roman Catholic chapel at Accrington and for few years a small American organ alas was substituted for same while more recently, and during Mr. Peberdy's vicarate, yet another organ, this the fifth instrument within living memory in Bracewell Church, and said to represent either all or part of the Munificence of Mr. Andrew Carnegie still remains in 1915. The old Bass Violin and also the Flute of an earlier period are not included in last paragraph.
1865 ADVENTURES of a Barlick Self-Taught Amateur Organ Builder. A short, and personal paragraph. In this year a small New Organ was sold to the Vicar of Kelbrook who soon after left the district and the organ was bought for ‘Hague House’ Academy. About 1869 Mr. Tunnicliffe of that place died, and at the sale afterwards, Mr. Robert Anderson of Barnoldswick became the purchaser and the instrument remained in that gentleman's care for a few years in the premises of the present Yorkshire Penny Bank. In 1868 a second new organ was built and sold to Mr. Marshall of Rishton. 1873. In that year a third new organ and much larger one was completed and sold to the Salem Chapel people at Nelson, the same being used by them for nine years when a new organ was built for that Chapel by Laycock and Bannister and the Barlick made organ eventually transferred to the Wesleyan Chapel, Walton Street, Cowling, where it still remains in 1915. For many years about this time, the services of the Barlick Amateur were in constant demand for tuning and repairing pianos, Harmoniums and other instruments and also for teaching music on the same. While even Mr. Bracewell in 1877 at the time the New Wesleyan Chapel was opened, asked the writer to offer a price for the small organ then in the old chapel which he did, and was accepted. That small instrument was rather uncommon in style, having no pipes in front but simply panels filled in with pleated red silk. 1812. Again in this year, Mr. Bracewell employed the ‘self taught amateur’ to take down an organ which he had purchased at Clapham and remove the same to Horton-in-Craven where it still remains in the Chapel there. After this a second old organ was sold by Mr. Bracewell to the writer.

1852. The Mechanic’s Institute established in the upper room of the National School. A few of its prominent leaders and teachers were the following :- Mr. John and Mr. Robinson, Turnery. Mr. Thomas Seedle Forte, Mr. Wm. Henry Hebden and later Mr. Joshua Lancaster and his sons. After a few years the education department objected to the Institute being held on the School premises and they removed to the room in Green Street over the Commercial Inn Stables and after long struggles there they, in the year 1879, formed a Committee of Trustees and purchased the Old Wesleyan Chapel (Now town hall) and School adjoining the same which included a large lecture Hall, reading and smoke rooms and had a somewhat flourishing career for some years being assisted by Government grants for the various science and art classes, and in connection with the city Guilds of London. Also a class was held for teaching Cotton Manufacture in which the late Mr. John Lancaster and several others took a prominent part in all Educational developments. The Yorkshire Penny Bank occupied a part of these premises at regular intervals and the large Hall was let for various kinds of entertainment, dancing classes, theatrical performances and mesmerick jim-crack affairs etc. All this was continued with varied success until the entire premises were sold by the Trustees to the Barnoldswick Local Board and thus the Mechanic’s
Institute came to an end in Barlick with a final farewell.

1852. BARLICK FAIR. Begun about this time and was well patronized for some years, the morning business being limited to cattle. sheep and pigs while in the afternoon a horse fair was held which in a few years dwindled down to nothing. And the same may almost be said of the cattle fair which at the present day is scarcely recognisable.

1860. TEMPERANCE SOCIETY. For years about this time this society was strong, and they organised the cheap trips to the sea-side, the people then having to start from Earby or Foulridge. The Barlick. railway not being open until 1870. These trips were at Rushbearing Holidays. The same Society also controlled the ‘Penny Readings’ entertainments which were so popular about this time. They had their ‘Walking day’ and Gala-field day on the Good Friday. The Joshua Lancaster family were the chief
upholders of the Temperance cause. Eastwoods and many others were equally staunch supporters of the Tee-Total persuasion. However, eventually, the Sunday Schools had to take up and carry on the Temperance cause. Some such in connection with the Schools being called ‘Band's of Hope’ or ‘Blue Ribbon’ or other titles to suite their fancy,

1865. BRASS BANDS. At this time Barlick had two Brass Bands. The old band and the New Model Band which was supposed to be a sort of Temperance Group consisting chiefly of young men, and as such they became very popular and for a time their services and accomplishments were highly appreciated which unfortunately came to an end after several years time. While the old Band continued in one way or another to ‘blow their horns’ and are still considered to be a fairly good Brass Band in 1915.

It is refreshing to be able to hand-down old Time stories instead of more modern history so well known to most readers. The following is one of those stories. At this time the Barlick snuff takers Fraternity was at its zenith and although this mythical band of the Old Scotch Brown snuff devotees never once advertised itself nor even registered under the Friendly Societies Act yet their affections for their object in view never wavered. On very rare occasions did these people betray themselves by the ‘Sneeze’ so peculiar to new beginners. Their Head office was ‘rent free’ at the most popular junction of the Town called ‘Lamb Hill’ and was approached by a few steps. Old Harry Hardacre was their esteemed president, an office held by him from year to year, while the vice presidents included the Rev. R. Milner (said to be a three fingers dipper), Old Johnny at Spen, old Jim Crier. and one of the Clough Tacklers while one of the guests who often found this Place was Old Ann Bennett. However, as time rolled-on, the number of members began to decrease and to the sorrow of the once welcome guests, the dear old president gave up the Ghost in 1873, aged 60 years. While the woman folk who had certain duties to perform after his death, reverently
deposited his once beloved large snuff-box in the same receptacle as his own mortal remains. While there still survives at the writer's own home a substantial proof of that little and somewhat ludicrous incident of over forty years ago.

1852. NEWSPAPERS. and the old time scraps not previously mentioned. Newspapers were in very limited numbers in Barlick and few people cared to avail themselves of such excepting some of the well-to-do class of folk. The ‘Preston Guardian’ came on a Saturday (price three pence) to Old Jim Crier's. This was a Company House for men on a Sunday and called ‘Congress Hall’ in King Street, where all the news was read and expounded by Old Fuff Townson, the Town Crier (who used a wooden ‘Rick Rack’ instead of a bell) Unfortunately this "Black Toffee shop’ was a temptation to children to spend money on a Sunday then considered to be a sin. The only so called stationer’s shop was at Town Head for a time and next house below Pear Tree Cottages and a window was specially made for old Dick Wright close to the Road-Side. However, when he removed to more central premises in Town Gate, the window was afterwards walled in and the same may be seen to the present day. Old Dick journeyed to Earby Station every weekday morning and returned to Barlick with the then required newspapers in a bag which he carried on his back and this bag gradually increased and the stationer and Newsagent had eventually to procure an assistant until the Barlick Branch line was opened in 1870. Of course this does not include what might otherwise have come by post.

1850 The ‘Hen Pecked Club’. This was a jocular and bogus institution, and was said to include all married men who were compelled to perform household duties. Hon. Sec. Old Tommy Atkinson (The writer never saw any books).

Boggarts and Ghosts. Of these there were just a few and the same were generally near some cow-keeping apartments while such beasts did an occasional groan during the time some timid folk were passing that way. There was however just one exception with regard to the "Boggarts’ and that was at Long Ing and the supposed originator of the same nobly and cheerfully carried that honourable title of distinction to the end of his days, ‘Boggart’ .
Old Lennie, the teeth extractor, was said to use a kind of pincers. for which folk seemed thankful at that time. (teeth makers, or dentists, or even false teeth being entirely unknown) Old Peggy Atkinson, the 'Pots for Rags’ dealer lived in the room underneath Old Lennie in Westgate and Old Peggy washed herself once a week whether she required it or not. Old Jonas had the same trade as Old Peggy, and he lived In the Butts, while his brother Johnny Piggy, noted for Barlick Fair Toffee lived In Westgate. Old Bill Pollard was the popular cottage house bellows mender. All these have long since passed away.

1861. The Yorkshire Penny Bank held in Butts School and afterwards removed to Green Street along with the Mechanics Institute. Mr. R. Gaskell and Mr. J. Eastwood were the local Bank Officials.

1870. FLOWER SHOW. For a few years about this time these shows were held in a large tent borrowed from Gisburn and the Parrock or the Foe's Field was used for the same, with Japanese troupe and other attractions. However such expensive affairs never proved successful and like the Brass Band Contest they were finally abandoned it being said that the promoters (although assisted by voluntary subscriptions) were out of pocket.

1870 and 1879. EPIDEMICS. These were two years of serious Scarlet Fever visitations, whilst it was said that 35 children died on the former occasion and nearly that number in 1879. (in that year the notorious burglary Charles Peace was hung on Pancake Tuesday) There were also other times when scarlet fever was prevalent, both before and since these times with additional slight visitations of small-pox-between the sixties and seventies, However it may be said that Barlick was no worse than other places who also had no water supply or proper sewerage scheme while even up to the
present time. these outbreaks in a milder form still ‘keep coming) but with far less fatal results and this in spite of all that modern science has achieved.

1870. BARNOLDSWICK RAILWAY BRANCH opened February 13th (one mile
and seven-eighths in length). This was a great event in the history of the town and a large banquet was held at the ‘Seven Stars Hotel’ for the Directors and prominent Shareholders who were to be congratulated on the accomplishment of this long felt want in Barlick. It was to be regretted that for nearly twenty years, this Company paid little or no dividend after which there was a marked improvement for some ten years and in October 1899. the original Company finally sold the whole estate to the Midland Railway Company. However it remains a truism that the Barnoldswick Inhabitants are greatly indebted to the enterprise of these pioneers of the much needed branch line of railway and it is to be hoped that all such energetic people did, either directly or indirectly receive compensation for any trivial loss of interest they might thereby have suffered. And it may further be truly said that the town could not possibly have grown as it did even at this time of its early years but more so up to the present time had it not been for the Barnoldswick Branch Railway.

1870 TO 1915

1870. this part of Modern history which embraces a period of over 40 years is not is not intended to be very historical but only a chronological reminder of past events in the development of the town in more recent years. Most of the same being already known to people who are middle aged or past that time of life, and thus the same will be briefly dealt with as considered superfluous to the writer's original intentions which have been all through this little work to ‘hand down’ to posterity the life and times of long ago in Old. Barlick with stories and remembrances of the good old ancestors of the present generation who then, in their day, did the best they could for the welfare and trade of old Barlick. Thus, let the memories of those who have ‘gone before’ be ever cherished as a link in the chain of time and as forerunners of the prosperity of Modern Barlick.

1870. The Elementary Act was passed, establishing School Boards where needed.
At this time a start was made for the erection of seven new shops in Church Street. Mr. R. Anderson's was the first and adjoining the present Bank premises, while the others followed at short intervals and all these were built three stories high. After the Branch Line Railway was opened the outside world soon began to find Barnoldswick and in 1874 the Skipton Building Society opened a monthly branch office in East View Terrace and appointed Mr. John Hartley as their Agent. This society was well patronized and many present day cottage property owners are indebted to this or other kindred societies for the privileges thus available in their being able to borrow capital in order to complete the eventual purchase of their own house by taking up shares and repaying in this manner both interest and principal until such property became the member's absolute freehold. There are several such societies now in the Town and Barnoldswick Building Society is one amongst the rest.

‘So don't scorn the Monkey your honourable Friend, But keep him well fed and send him ahead.’

1875. THE BRICK SCHOOL. Erected by Mr Bracewell in order to avoid a Board School and called ‘Barnoldswick and Coates Unity School’ and on January 10th 1870 the scholars were transferred to this place from the old school after the same had been condemned and Mr. Richard Gaskell was appointed headmaster there, and remained so until the end of 1878. After this time Mr. Gill of the Wesleyan School became headmaster and the school was afterwards used as a separate boys school, the Wesleyan's became a girls and infant school alone and remained so until the death of Mr. Bracewell in 1885. After which the brick school was given up and used as a Liberal Club and for various other purposes. At this time Mr. Gill left the town remarking like many other people that Barnoldswick’s days of prosperity had come to an end. Thus the Wesleyan School once more became a mixed and infants school and
under the headmastership of Mr. Isaac Barrett which honourable position was held by that gentleman until his death in 1910.

1876. CRAVEN BANK. This, the first real business branch bank in Barnoldswick was opened in Mr. B. Lean's parlour and afterwards in the disused shop adjoining the same, with the old palisades in front. And on Lamb Hill C.E. Clayton Esq. (now residing at Milnthorpe) had that first honourable duty to perform on behalf of the Craven Bank, and held that position until December 1880. The writer is indebted to Mr. Clayton for this the only trace of originality he has been able to obtain on this subject while the same gentleman kindly refers to the late Mr. James Nutter as being the first, if not his only customer on the occasion of his first advent to Barnoldswick in 1876. The Bank was continued on Lamb Hill until 1891 when the same removed to the corner shop of Church Street and Newtown when they afterwards acquired
the adjoining premises and thus became greatly enlarged, while in recent years the Craven Bank has become amalgamated with the Bank of Liverpool Limited.

1877. ERECTION OF WESLEYAN CHAPEL in Rainhall Road and opposite the Schools belonging to the Wesleyan denomination. This chapel is said to be an imposing edifice, and completed in 1877 at a cost of £8000. The munificent gift of the late William Bracewell Esquire of Newfield Edge in Barnoldswick. Mr. William Pickup of Burnley was the architect while Mr. Ormerod Whittaker superintended the mason’s work and the joiner’s work (including the organ case) was executed by Mr. Bracewell’s own workmen. This building speaks for itself and a more substantial and handsome Place of Worship of its kind is not to be found in the district of Craven.

1878.ERECTION OF BANK HALL in the Township of Coates. A beautiful Mansion, and built for Mr. C.G. Bracewell on a commanding site. This work being carried out by the same Architect and the other workmen who had just previously completed the Wesleyan Chapel.

1879. ERECTION OF BAPTIST CHURCH. A handsome and commodious place
of worship in North Street off Manchester Road.

1880. Death of Mr. W. M. Bracewell suddenly at Calf Hall, Barnoldswick. The deceased gentleman was the elder son of William Bracewell Esq. and only 41 years of age. This sad event cast a gloom over the town.

Secretary for Ireland and one of the Member's for this division in Parliament which took place in Phoenix Park Dublin. This sad news first reached Barnoldswick from Clayton Slater Esq. who then resided in Canada, and wired direct here before the news from any other Source arrived.

1883. At this time a change of Postmaster in Barnoldswick became necessary, and the late respected Mr, John Lancaster was appointed on 25th January 1883 to that position and faithfully discharged the duties of the same for a period of over 11 years
resigning in April 1894.

1883. ERECTION OF NATIONAL SCHOOL at a cost of £1800 in York Street to take the place of the Old Butts School. Mr, Alfred Pollard, formerly of Salterforth National School, was appointed Headmaster and has honourably discharged those duties up to 1915, resigning in 1922.

1885. DEATH OF WILLIAM BRACEWELL ESQ. of "Newfield Edge" Barnoldswick aged 72 years. This sad even cast a gloom over the town.

1880. Death of W M Bracewell as before mentioned, at Calf Hall aged 41 years.

1889. Death of Mr C G Bracewell of Bank Hall, Coates aged 43 years. It will thus be seen that in a single decade, the three, father and two sons, sole partners of this honourable family on whom the carrying on of this large business were called from this scene of action which had engrossed their minds in no small degree during their sojourn in Barnoldswick. Arriving here in 1846 and tarrying until 1885, say about 40 years after which the end of their time came. And thus let us hope that they are now at rest in peace from their labours after having accomplished a great work for the benefit of once old Barlick.

1887. FIRST JUBILEE OF QUEEN VICTORIA. In this year on June 20th our Sovereign Lady completed the 50th year of her Reign and Great rejoicings were held all over the country too numerous and magnificent to repeat here.

1887. Barnoldswick endeavoured to celebrate the ‘Jubilee’ through the kind. munificence of Henry Slater Esq. who provided an excellent ‘Tea feast’. This was for all inhabitants over 60 and 60 years of age, the same taking place in the Baptist Church, North Street. Nearly one hundred persons availed themselves of this privilege which was under the management of a committee selected from all the religious denominations in the town. The writer of this article being favoured with the secretaryship on that memorable occasion.

In order to make the following article more continuous, namely, the erection of weaving sheds and also other matters immediately to the present time as one subject after which a return will be made to the former date and other history proceeded with in chronological order.

1887. The first important company venture in Barnoldswick, Coates Old Shed excluded was the Long Ing Shed erected at first for 1,188 looms and divided into three sections of 396 looms each, and soon afterwards extended for another 481 looms, whilst more recently another extension has taken place, thus bringing the total loom space up to 2,009. (including 274 large sheeting looms)
These premises were at first occupied by T S Edmondson (and James Nutter for a short while) Mr E Ormerod, Mr J Brown, Mr T Bowker, Messrs. Eastwood and Maudsley, and Messrs. Holden Brothers the majority of whom have passed away. While Mr R Brooks and Mr. James Edmondson very soon became tenants after an enlargement and also a removal of some of the first Tenants and have continued such until very recently. While others have at different times taken the places of the former Tenants (who have moved to larger promises) namely Messrs. Brown and Bailey’s (589 looms) Messrs. Boocock Brothers (now retired) Messrs. Dewhurst Limited, (586 looms) J. Wilson's Ltd. (596 looms) Messrs Wilson and Pearson Ltd. (200 looms) and Messrs Hartley Ltd (420 looms) Total. 2,009. Thus it will seen that not a single original tenant now remains at Long Ing in 1915.

1888. SALTERFORTH SHED erected by a Company for 400 looms and in 1899 an extension for another 238 looms took place. Mr James Slater of Coates has been one of the principal tenants since its erection and also Mr. Brown and until recently Mr. Whiteoak and several others for a short time after its enlargement to 638 looms.

1889 FORMATION of a second large Shed Company called Calf-Hall Shed Company.

1889. ERECTION OF CALF HALL SHED. At first built for 800 looms and tenanted by Messrs Stephen Pickles & Sons, Messrs Windle & Batley, and Messrs B & E. Holden. Large extensions have been made at different times since it's first erection and the total number of looms are now 1,659.

The Tenants at the present time are as follows:

Messrs. Edmondson and Company 416 looms.
Messrs Monkswell Manufacturing Co 413 looms
Messrs. B. & E. Holden 414 looms.
Messrs. S Pickles and Sons 416 looms.
TOTAL 1,659 looms.

1898. WELLHOUSE' SHED AND MILL purchased by the Calf Hall Shed Company
and after several extensions, enlargements, and other Structural alterations and Improvements, these premises contain 2,333 looms and at the present time are in the occupation of the following tenants:

Mr James Moorhouse 653 looms
Mr Josiah Windle 401 looms
Exors. Of Mr William Bailey 384 looms
Messrs. Dewhurst and Dugdale 270 looms
Messrs. Slater Brothers 236 looms
Messrs. Waterworth, Holdsworth and Company 192 looms
Mr Thomas Nutter 192 looms

Total 2,333 looms

1903. BUTTS MILL AND SHED Purchased by the Calf Hall Shed Company and after alterations and pulling down parts of the mill not required for warehouse or preparation purposes. The whole of the ground floors were utilized for loons (this sane process had previously been adopted at Wellhouse Mill) Butts premises now
contain 1,930 looms which at present are run by the following tenants, namely:

Craven Manufacturing Company 825 looms
Messrs. Wilson and Company 436 looms
Mr James Horsfield 406 looms
Mr E Aldersley 262 looms

Total 1,930 looms

1905. VIADUCT SHED COLNE Purchased by the Calf Hall Shed Company
has 885 looms. Total number of looms for which Room and Power are let by this Company In Barnoldswick 5,922. In Colne 885 looms. Total of 6.807 looms.

1889. After the death of Mr. C.G. Bracewell in this year, Mr. John Eastwood had control of the Butts premises for a few years and in Company with Mr. H. Maudsley and Mr. John Hodgkinson. Messrs. Eastwood. & Company had a number of looms and also sub-let room and power to others; the late Mr. John Wilson and the Bradley Brothers, Mr. Anthony Carr, Messrs Horsfield Bros and other names who are either merged into companies or who have withdrawn from manufacturing altogether. After Mr Eastwood relinquished his undertaking a Butts Mill Company was formed consisting chiefly of tenants with the respected townsman Mr. S Slater as secretary on behalf of the craven Bank and this company continued until the aforesaid purchase of the entire Butts premises by the Calf Hall Shed Company in 1903.

1903. MOSS SHED COMPANY. The Moss Shed was erected first for 1.728 looms and soon afterwards enlarged for another 432 looms and the tenants are as follows:

Messrs. John Widdup and Sons 432 looms
Exors. Of T S Edmondson 432 looms
Messrs. E Ormerod and Sons Ltd. 432 looms
Messrs. B and E Holden 432 looms
Messrs. Holden Brothers 432 looms
Total 2,160 looms

1905. BANKFIELD SHED Called the Barnoldswick Room and Power Company Limited. No 1 Shed built in 1905, tenants Messrs. James Nutter and Sons (who formerly had 400 looms in Calf Hall Shed) now at Bankfield and have 901 looms. Bradley Brothers who started at Butts in 1902 in Mr John Eastwood’s time and subsequently had 400 looms there are now at Bankfield and have 880 looms.

1909. BANKFIELD No. 2 shed built in 1909. The present tenants are as follows:

Mr John Sagar 400 looms
Messrs. Alderton Brothers Ltd. 200 looms
Messrs. Horsfield and Wright 200 looms
Bankfield Manufacturing Company Ltd. 200 looms
Messrs. Baxter and Whipps 200 looms.

The total loom space at Bankfield Shed is for 3,080 looms.

1911. BARNSEY SHED COMPANY LTD. New shed built to hold 2,100 looms. The following are the tenants:
Bailey and Roberts. (formerly 200 looms in Wellhouse) 420 looms
N Horsfield and Son (formerly at Butts with his brother
James with 200 looms and increased to 400 looms) 420 looms
The Rainhall Manufacturing Co Ltd 210 looms
Cairns and Lang 210 looms
John Widdup and Sons 210 looms
Johnson Slater and Widdup 210 looms
Barnsey Manufacturing Co Ltd 430 looms
TOTAL 1,320 looms

1911. WESTFIELD SHED COMPANY. New shed built to hold 1,320 looms. The following are the tenants:

Robinson Brooks and Son 900 looms
J Whiteoak and Sons 420 looms
TOTAL 1,320 looms

1915. CROWNEST SHED COMPANY LIMITED. New shed built to hold 2,080 looms and commenced on 3rd February 1915. The tenants are as follows:

Mr Anthony Carr. (formerly at Butts with 200 looms
and increased to 300 looms.) 400 looms
Mr James Edmondson. (Formerly at Long Ing Shed
with 400 looms and in 1913 increased to 600 looms) 600 looms
Mr Joseph Windle. (Formerly at Clough with 100
looms then at Calf Hall in 1888 with William Bailey as
Windle and Bailey with 400 looms. Then on own account
At Wellhouse on own account with 400 looms and at
Present is running 400 looms at each place) 400 looms
Harry Pickles Ltd. 440 looms
Mr G Dethick-Brown 200 looms
TOTAL 2,080 looms

1915. FERNBANK SHED COMPANY. New shed to hold 2,200 looms. This shed is nearing completion and is expected to commence running in September of this year [1915]. The whole of the loom space is said to be taken up. The intending tenants are:

Edmondson and Company. (Formerly at Calf Hall Shed) 880 looms
Wallers Limited. (Formerly at Barnsey with 210 looms) 440 looms
Whittaker and Company 440 looms
Alderton Brothers Ltd. (Formerly at Bankfield No. 2
Shed with 200 looms) 440 looms.
TOTAL 2,200 looms

COATES SHED. Over the canal Bridge is by far the oldest company enterprise in this parish and now has 400 looms, the present firm is constituted as follows:
J. William Myers, Wilkinson and Harrison. 400 looms

1915. (August) Yet another shed has been commenced building for Messrs. Nutter to hold 1,200 looms which will be called ‘Newfield Shed’ and owned by the Executors of the late James Nutter Esquire, JP. TOTAL 1,200 looms.

In order to complete this article, the writer concludes by giving the report of our esteemed County Councillor, Stephen Pickles Esq. On the occasion of his giving evidence to the Select Committee on the coming requirements of the town regarding the proposed water supply for Barnoldswick and the Act of Parliament required in order to procure the same from Elslack for our growing town. Mr Pickles said that. ‘In 1885 there were less than 2,000 looms in Barnoldswick and in 1896 there were 7,300 and in 1905 there were 9,500 and before the end of 1915 there would be 22,100 looms. Under normal conditions (if no war) there would be 25,000 looms by the end of 1916.’ (Extract from the Craven Herald of 30th April 1915)

The writer also desires to thank all those who have contributed to the chapter of ‘loomology’ now closed, including Mr Samuel Slater, the well-known authority on this subject and also Mr R S Windle for his kind and voluntary assistance in order to ensure correct information, whilst Mr Edmondson Banks has also willingly added his important share of correct knowledge on the same subject.

Thus it may be said that manufacturers in Barlick (generally speaking) have been very successful since their commencement. Although at times trade has been bad and also some years ago they had to contend with disputes and strikes yet taking this business as a whole, (if we may be allowed to think) the net results will be summed up as ‘SATISFACTORY’ and one thing that has been most conducive to their success in the earlier stages of their enterprise was the formation of Companies who provided the necessary Room and Power for the parties or individuals who might not otherwise have been able to do so for themselves and secured the mutual benefit of both communities, namely the speculative shed building companies and also the tenants who rented the same. Thus encouraging progress thrift and employment and the development of wealth all round and proving how the welfare and interests of capital and labour are inseparable and bound up together for the accomplishment and realization of the general good of mankind.

While other speculative Barlick Manhood has not been asleep during the last thirty years. In the front ranks of this category, the cottage-house builders are entitled to a word of congratulation, including a few real Masons and contractors and others who employed foremen. All such have done wonders by erecting cottage-houses by the score for the thousands of workpeople requiring by the increase in the manufacturing- business in the Parish.

1888 THE ST. JOHN’S AMBULANCE ASSOCIATION or First Aid to the injured. This, the first movement of its kind in Barnoldswick was organized in the autumn of. this year and the classes for tuition and drill instruction were held in the Seven Stars Assembly Rooms and were ably conducted under the supervision of H.C. Alderton Esq. Physician and surgeon and on April 11th 1889 at the conclusion of the session, a Social was held and a small token of recognition for his services was presented to Dr. Alderton on which the names of the class were inscribed, the same included over fifty students (some from Marton and Salterforth &C) namely:-

Atkinson W.P. Bradley W Green Henry
Blackburn J E Broughton J R Green William
Bailey J W Clark Hugh Hartley Leonard
Barrett Isaac Dean John Hartley George
Bell Joseph Devanney J H Kendall R (Jnr)
Blanchard T Eccleston W King Thomas
Blezzard R Garrett James Lancaster F
Bradley C E Garrett P H Littlefair W
Broughton A Green George Noble William T
MacDonald J J W Robinson S Smith Robert
Norcross John Sagar William Standing Joe
Nutter Edmund Slater Edward Suthers J T
Ormerod J E Slater F H Thompson H H
Ormerod J S Slater Frederick Uttley Thomas
Pollard John Slater Jabez Wallace S
Renton Josiah Slater Joseph Watkinson E
Robinson J Smith Edward White Simpson
Windle D A Windle J T.

The Classes had to undergo examination by another Doctor and the same was continued yearly until 1895 when the Barnoldswick Division joined the properly organized official Brigade at Headquarters thus rendering themselves eligible for Active Service either Military or Naval and praise is due to all those who have devoted so much time and labour in bringing the Barnoldswick Brigade up to it's present state of efficiency. All this having been done voluntarily and with the sole aim of the ‘good Samaritan’ for the relief of suffering humanity and such noble and devotions of love and self-sacrifice can only find a reward in the ‘conscience’ of those who have so generously performed the same, amongst the many the following are a few who have thus laboured for the success of this Association namely: Mr, J.W. Thompson (the right man In the right place) Mr. W J J MacDonald, Mr, J. Garrett, Mr. P.H. Garrett, Mr. Thos Baxter, and Mr. George Green and also others worthy of praise. It will be remembered that 53 of the Brigade were sent out to the South African War, 5 of whom never returned while nearly 100 members have been requisitioned for the present war, 12 of whom lost their lives in the Rohilla disaster at Whitby on the 30th of October 1914 while the BEM has been awarded to one of our valiant Barnoldswick boys.

The writer regrets to say that the Ambulance Association in Barnoldswick has not always received the generous and voluntary financial support which it so richly deserved. This may have arisen in part from unthoughtfulness or from being unable to grasp the moral obligations of people in a position to render help to such a noble and Christian humane cause and thus to realise that such is their privilege and opportunity for doing good to their fellow-men.

However, after the part the Brigade has taken in the present war let us hope that in future the Ambulance Association will not have to curtail it's sphere of usefulness for lack of support at home.

1814 ENCLOSURE ACT. I7th June.I8I4 Barnoldswick and Salterforth (Whitemoor) Enclosure Act passed this day 54 George III. Chapter 137. Butler’s Award made,
1877. 27th January. First meeting of the Parochial Committee held this day in the old Baptist Chapel. One part of the duties of this Committee was the enforcement of the School Attendance Act.

1890. May 14th. BARNOLDSWICK TOWNSHIP LOCAL BOARD Sanctioned by the west Riding County Council.

HOME RULE FOR BARNOLDSI4ICK. As far back as 1875 and 1883 Barnoldswick had been endeavouring to obtain a local Board, while another such Ratepayers Meeting was held on December 15th, 1889 and a further effort was made. The late William Clark took a prominent part on this occasion and 65 signatures were obtained and this led up to the Authorities granting their request through Mr F Bracewell, Churchwarden and Mr, C.P. Charlesworth, Solicitor of Skipton. 1890 the "Pioneer" November 21st issue. The Barnoldswick Local Board Election. After much speculation and excitement the result of the first Local Board Election for the new Local Government District of Barnoldswick was made known about 7:30 last evening. 32 candidates went to the poll. The result of the polling being as follows:

John Lancaster 561 Herbert Charles Alderton 578
James Nutter 292 James Broughton 310
Greenwood Wilkinson 292 Henry Slater 276
Proctor Barrett 235 John James Shutt 217
William P Brooks 211

The above were the nine successful candidates. The unsuccessful candidates were:

T S Edmondson 193 R Anderson 133 R Heyworth 176
S Pickles (Jnr) 177 A Pilkington 174 J M Edmondson 172
J B Roberts 162 William Clark 157 C Shuttleworth 153
William Sagar 169 J W Widdup 139 William Sellers 131
Richard Mitton 129 J Nuttall 111 J W Thornber 96
Thomas Dent 83 R Dean 71 John Hartley 64
Richard Bailey 61 J Pickup 57 James Slater 55
Josiah Edmondson 28

Mr F Bracewell, the returning officer, announced the result of the poll and summoned the first meeting of the Board for 2:30 on the following Wednesday (26th inst.) at the Mechanic’s Institution. Next followed the usual vote of thanks to the officers which were properly acknowledged. Mr C P. Charlesworth was the solicitor on behalf of the new Local Board.

1890. 26th November. FIRST MEETING of the local Board held this Wednesday afternoon at which Mr. John Lancaster was unanimously voted to the "chair". Mr. Samuel Slater being appointed as temporary clerk while on December 17th 1890 Charles Thornton Esq. became the permanent clerk and Solicitor to the Board and
has honourably fulfilled the duties of the same up to the present time, 1915. Charles Thornton Solicitor died August 7th 1920 aged 61 years.

It will be remembered that the Meetings of the Board were for several years conducted in the large parlour connected with the post-office (that stately old million-window room which formed a part of the ancient ‘Wellhouse Farmhouse’ which had it's back to the street and it's front to the Garden and Orchard) In 1895 the old Farmhouse and the adjoining plot of land were sold and six new shops were erected-on the combined sites. After this the Barnoldswick Urban District Council removed to the Craven Bank Chambers where the Town's affairs were administered.

1899. I4th December. The Council obtained permission to borrow £1000 for the provision of Public offices after which the Mechanics Institute became the permanent property of the U.D.C. and has ever since been recognized as ‘The Town Hall’ December 21st 1900. Town Hall opening ceremony. Purchased by the Council from the Trustees of the Mechanics Institute (formerly Wesleyan Chapel) for the sum of £373. The sum of £1000 borrowed from the Local Government Board were required for the alterations and public offices necessary for the Town Hall. Mr. A. Pilkington the Chairman performed at the ceremony using a Gold Key subscribed for by the U.D.C after which a Special Luncheon was provided accompanied by the usual Speechmaking which brought this great event to a conclusion.


(John Lancaster, Chairman)

About this time there was a great clearance from the causeways and outbuildings when some hundreds of rainwater tubs were no longer required and all this came as a ‘boon and a blessing to man’ in now what was fast becoming modernised Barlick.

1892. THE LONDON AND CITY AND MIDLAND BANK (this is the date given by the officials) was at first opened in a small lock-up shop at Butts Top, and after a short stay there they removed to larger premises in Station Road. However, after some years this place was also found to be inadequate and in 1910 the Company purchased two shops in Newtown and erected on that site the new and up-to date Bank Buildings. While the upper storey or Bank Chambers are entirely occupied by Mr, R,S. Windle, Incorporated accountancy, one who has by dint of sheer perseverance earned for himself the honourable positions in which he is now engaged. While very recently "The London Joint Stock Bank" opened a branch here in Barnoldswick and their place of business is now at the entrance to Skipton Road.

Solicitors, of these the Town in not lacking at the present time – 1915 also insurance companies in abundance.

1892. August 31st 1892. PURCHASE OF GASWORKS for the sum of £13.850 by the local Board. The vendors being the Barnoldswick Gas And Light Company who had acquired the same from the executors of the late William Bracewell Esq. a few years previously.

1893. July 17th The BARNOLDSWICK LOCAL BOARD GAS ACT received the Royal Assent.


1895 May 8th DIVISION of the town into four wards, North Ward, East Ward. West Ward, and Central Ward.

1895 November 26th Power to appoint and revoke appointment of Assistant Overseers conferred upon the Council.

1897 July 27th Road roller arrived at Barnoldswick.

1897. QUEEN’S DIAMOND JUBILEE. This event in Barnoldswick was marked by the erection of an Ornamental Drinking Fountain and Gas-Lamp Standard Combined, and placed in the centre of Church Street at Butts Top, the same being erected by voluntary subscriptions.

1902. June 20th. Recreation Ground. One of the Letcliffe Farms having been purchased by the Council ‘King Hill’ was laid out as a Public Park whilst the adjoining field was apportioned as a Recreation Ground. These two folds being set apart for the use of the ratepayers. The remainder of the land together with the buildings being still let as a farm. The opening ceremony was performed by the Rev. F. W. Patten, Chairman on the above date.

1903 WINTERBURN WATERWORKS opened requiring a I0 miles pipe track to the top pool of the Leeds & Liverpool canal at Greenberfield in this parish.

1903. January 1st. BY LAWS relating to Recreation Ground sanctioned by Local Government Board.

1905 March 15th. Order of the West Riding County Council appointing four guardians. (one for each ward)

Since the formation of the Local Board no less than 27 Local Government Board enquiries have been held in order to receive sanction to borrow sums of money varying from £250 up to £10,514. The chief purposes for money has been so borrowed are as follows: Gasworks, Sewerage Works, Recreation Ground, Private Streets and Roads improvements, Isolation Hospital, Public offices, Fire-brigade equipment etc. While addition and extensions to most of the above works have demanded the attention of the council from time to time.

NAMES OF CHAIRMEN since the formation of the Local Board.

I. JOHN LANCASTER Elected November 1890 to 1896
2. HENRY SLATER April 11 1896 to 1898
3. ALFRED PILKINGTON April 1898 to 1901
4. REV F. W. PATTEN April 1901 to 1904
5, JAMES NUTTER April 1904 to 1907
6. JAMES EDMONDSON April 1907 to 1910
7, FRED HARRY SLATER April 1910 to 1913
8. WILLIAM EDWARD HARPER April 1913 to 1916

OVERSEERS 1915 - 1916



1889 to 1898 Sir John C, Horsfall Bart.
1898 to 1904 Rev. L.B. Morris.
1904 to *** F J Wilson Esq.
1907 to 1913 Stephen Pickles Esq.,


BRACEWELL 1920 Acres
BROGDEN 1670 acres
COATES 700 acres

1885 Sir Matthew Wilson Bart. Liberal 5059
Mr S C Lister Cons 4269
1888 Mr Walter Morrison Union 4423
Sir Matthew Wilson Lib 4289
1892 Mr C S Roundell Lib 4700
Mr W Morrison Cons 4608
1895Mr W Morrison Cons 4902
Mr J A Farrar Lib 4763
1900 Mr F Whitley-Thompson Lib 5139
Mr W Morrison Con 5007
1906 Mr W Clough Lib 5834
Mr R F Roundell Cons 5601
1910 Mr W Clough Lib 6579
(Jan.) Mr R F Roundell Cons 6071
1910 Mr W Clough Lib 6151
(Dec.) Mr R F Roundell Cons 6100
1918. A turn of the tide. Colonel Roundell’s majority 2,281. In 1922 he had 3023 majority. In 1923, 1391 majority. October 29th, 1924, The New Conservative E Roy Bird had a majority of 5,977 in a three cornered fight.

12 June 1897 James Broughton 68 years
11 Dec 1897 John Lancaster 56 years
11 June 1899 Henry Slater 68 years
11 Nov 1903 John Pickup 71 years
4 May 1904 Greenwood Wilkinson 80 years
8 March 1907 Robinson Heyworth 70 years
12 Aug 1907 Alfred Pilkington 57 years
18 April 1909 James Slater 74 years
14 Feb 1914 James Nutter 69 years.

1801 769 1861 2110
1811 892 1871 3117
1821 1344 1881 4028
1831 1612 1891 4131
1841 1849 1901 6381
1851 1848 1911 9703
The population of the parish at the last census, 1911, was 10,704. The population of each ward at 1911 census was: East, 2,947; North, 2541; West, 2,405; Central, 1,910.

INDEBTEDNESS ON 31ST DAY OF MARCH 1915. (less balance in sinking fund)
Gasworks, £31,112. Water, £7772. Sewerage, £13,823. Isolation hospital, £150. Recreation ground, £1086. Town Hall, £390. Private street works, £292. Fire Brigade, £270. Highways, £2,249.

1915. THE DISTRICT RATE AND POOR RATE which are subject to alteration according to the requirements of the Council are as follows:
District rate 3/6 in the £ realising £6872. Poor rate 3/- in the £ realising 6078.

Gas costs 3/- per 1000 cubic feet.

RATEABLE VALUES. (on the 1st day of April 1915)
Rateable value, £45,248. Assessable value; £43,319. One penny rate equals £180. Debt under sanitary rate, £27,386. Whole indebtedness, £58,496.

1915.The following list constitutes the present members of the Barnoldswick urban District Council. Chairman William Edward Harper Esq.: Vice chairman James mercer Edmondson Esq. North Ward, W B Barrett, James M Edmondson and Josiah Windle. East Ward. Rev. W F Patten, William Edward Harper, James Edmondson. West Ward. Thomas Nutter, John James Shutt, Richard Brown. Central Ward. Frederick Henry Slater, Fred Robinson, William Henry Maude.

There are also co-operated with the above list of Councillors several gentlemen and also two ladies who are sanctioned by the County Council to assist on one (or both) the following committees namely: The Local Pension (old age) sob-committee and the District Education Sub-committee of Provided Schools.

The above act obtained the Royal Assent on July 29th, 1915. Owing to the rapid growth of the town the Council decided to make a further provision for the future water-supply (that most needful commodity) and after considerable opposition in
both houses of Parliament their endeavours were eventually rewarded by the scheme which enable the Council to provide sufficient water for a population of 30,000. This scheme is estimated to cost about £100,000. The Council are to be congratulated in securing a Farm from George Lane Fox Esq. on Elslack-Moor which possesses an abundance of water from natural springs and the same will be conveyed from Elslack Moor to a high altitude reservoir near the Barnoldswick Recreation ground.

The services of the most eminent water engineer expert (Mr Gilcock) were obtained and the present scheme was prepared and submitted to Parliament. The Council was represented before the Select Committee by Messrs. William Edward Harper (Chairman) James Mercer Edmondson (Vice chairman) and the Rev. F W Patten (Finance chairman) together with the clerk Accountant, and water manager. Messrs Patten, S Pickles, C C and S Slater gave evidence in support of the scheme. Several other professional experts also gave evidence (including Engineering and Rainfall experts) while the Council engaged the services of three members of the King’s Council to represent their case in addition to Messrs. Lees and Company, the Parliamentary Agents.

Inasmuch as several of the last pages have (with very few exceptions) been devoted absolutely to the Town's affairs, and most of the articles and statistics, both financial and otherwise are derived from the council Year Book for 1915-19I6, the only reliable
source from which such valuable information was obtainable, the writer hereby acknowledges with thanks, on behalf of this little work the kind assistance thus willingly rendered by the loan of the same, or in any other like manner, by the Gentlemen holding such honourable positions and their kindness to oblige.

1915. With the increase of population in Barnoldswick the West Riding County Council have had recently to erect larger Day-Schools at the junction of Gisburn and Skipton Roads while another such school is in contemplation at ‘Lane Ends’.

Also in the meantime the Roman Catholics have built a new day-school of their own adjoining their present church in Gisburn Road. While the west end of the town seems to have been entirely overlooked and ought to have had a day-school in Calf Hall Road (or thereabouts) for the accommodation of that part of the town, instead of the children having to tramp half a mile elsewhere.

1910. THE INDEPENDENT METHODIST’ S erected a large Sunday school adjoining their Chapel (in Walmsgate) costing about £2,500.

1911. THE WESLEYANS erected a large Sunday School behind their beautiful chapel in Rainhall Road. The Wesleyans have also recently erected a neat Mission Chapel in Calf Hall Road and also secured a plot of ground (off Gisburn Road) for another mission chapel (Chapels are not called churches)

The Congregationalists have recently built a temporary chapel (off Gisburn Road) and secured a plot for a larger place of worship at no distant date.

The Church of England have also purchased a plot of land for a new church at the entrance of Skipton Road and near the present St James’s church which has to be replaced on this site by a more commodious sacred edifice.

The Spiritualists have also two places of worship in the town, and the Salvation Army have a place of worship called ‘Barracks’.

By the way of a change and also by request, the following tale copied from the ‘Pioneer’ is inserted in this work as being interesting to lovers of what may be called ‘Historic Legends’.

THE PIONEER. April 1st, 1910.

ST MARY A tale of Gill Church, Barnoldswick (by Henrietta Blackburn)

I t w as in the cold grey dawn of a winter’s morning that Prince Rupert stood beside the Monastery containing a few remaining Monks of the Cistercian order which stood near the Old Roman Church at what is now called Barnoldswick. He had crossed the border from Lancaster on his way to Manchester to join the forces of Sir Marmaduke Langley, and delivered important messages from the king to Sir Marmaduke. The Prince had come from a skirmish at Atherton, near Bradford, and was trying now to gather forces again as he expected more battle and slaughter before long. News had just been brought that Cromwell had also crossed the border with a fair good. Company and that orders had been given to allow no quarters to the soldiers of the king.

Prince Rupert had but a very small Company, a mere handful only and he knew that it would be sheer madness to be overtaken or encounter the larger party of Parliamentarians. so he ordered each of his twenty men to look out for himself till the enemy had passed as he was aware that they had already arrived at Marton where they were staying the night.

The dawn came very slowly and Prince Rupert stood alone. His men had scattered in various directions, when his eye caught sight of a speck in the distance just on the breast of the hill, which turned out to be a maiden just budding into womanhood. She was dressed in the manner of a Yeoman's daughter of the well-to-do class. She had a very voluminous skirt, short bodice, and pointed velvet cap who was evidently taking an early morning walk and the Prince whose courtly bearing and brave front were
pleasing to the ladies, vaulted the wall and was soon within speaking reach. Doffing his bonnet in his usual courtly fashion he said, "Fair maid. I can see thou art one of the King's loyal subjects and in the name of the King I beg thee to help me. I must find shelter from the enemy for a few hours until they have passed. I can see by the kindness of thy face that thou wilt succour one of his majesty's subjects and find me a hiding place" The maid listened, and a slightly frightened look came into her face, and her voice quivered a little as she answered. "Yes, I am a loyal subject of his majesty but I do not know where to find thee shelter, as the enemy misses nothing and nowhere but if thou wilt follow me I will try my best. And wilt thou follow quickly, as the daylight will be on us soon".

She led the way across the fields towards the church. Not a sound could be heard, even the trees seemed to have stilled their rustlings in the hours between dawn and daylight. The Prince followed with stealthy tread and they reached the churchyard, winding their way in and out between the gravestones which stood up bold and grey looking twice their size in the morning's gloom. They reached the door at last, and she put up a warning finger as she gently pushed it open. The body of the Church was in complete darkness but the candles on the altar were still burning casting a lurid light around themselves. Mary stepped cautiously inside and the white-faced fugitive followed, when she turned to the left and led the way up a narrow winding staircase. Up, up they went right on to the leads where they could survey the surrounding country. But all around was grey and chill. Not a speck of light or sign of life could be seen. But stay, what was that? It was a human voice which was carried in the thin morning air, and a second and a third voice could be heard although they were yet some distance away. The two silent listeners knew that they were the voices of the enemy who were out seeking for the prince. Now, for the first time since they had entered the Church, Mary spoke saying in a whisper, “Come along there is no time to lose” And they retraced their way into the chamber of the bells. There are three bells hung in a row across the tower, and they almost touched the floor. Indeed it is only when the bells are pulled that the clappers are seen at all. She beckoned to the Prince and as he stood at her side she whispered in his ear, for well she knew that the slightest sound. would travel and betray her. Then he caught hold of the top of the bell while she knelt on the dusty floor and caught the clapper, and then pulling off her tiny velvet cap with it's snowy white border, she put it between the clapper and the bell and noiselessly pressed it to the side. Rising she went to take her place at the bell's head, while the Prince curled himself up inside it. Then she slowly let the great bell downy and not a trace of the Prince cou1d be seen. She hastened her steps down from the belfry into the vestry where she found the robe and scapulary of one of the sisters, and putting them on, completely covering her dress and hair. She knelt before the burning candles and began to tell her beads. So earnest was she in her prayers that she did not hear the searchers enter the church. One of them stood behind the kneeling figure but the figure was motionless, not a motion or quiver could he seen nothing he heard but the soft metallic sound of the beads as they passed through the
fingers of the worshipping nun. The man standing behind her was the leader of the search party, and also a devout catholic and the burning candles and the silent sister, praying here in the lonely church in the dawn, moved him very strangely.

He silently left the sister putting up a warning finger as he joined the rest of the company at the church door. Then motioning two of his men to follow he led the way up the winding stone staircase into the belfry searching every corner as they did so till they reached the leads and had found nothing. Then the captain turned to his men and sad “Go down gently, and do not disturb the meditations of our sister who is a true sister of the church to keep such a lonely vigil and not likely to harbour an Enemy to our faith"

As silently as they could they left the Church, each one crossing himself as he passed out. The Captain, with his head uncovered was the last to leave and did not. resume his hat till he had left the churchyard. He was wending his way to Thornton Village about a mile away.

Mary still knelt silently telling her beads till the dawn began to break through the windows, making the candles look grey and ghostly in the early morning light and filling the aisles and pews with uncanny and chilly shadows.

It had not been more than a few hours, but to the figure under the bell it had felt like a lifetime. He could scarcely breathe, and every joint seemed to be breaking and he felt that if he was not relieved from his cramped position soon he could not long survive. But what was that? A gentle footstep. He clasped. The clapper of the bell more tightly and the touch of the velvet bonnet gave him strength again to bear the pain a little longer. Then a whisper came saying "Hold the clapper and I will go into the room below and pull the rope. I think I can manage it better from there, and Mary our Blessed Lady be with us" The Prince heard the pit~pat of retreating footsteps, and then the bell began to slowly lift and he felt the cold morning air; and then a shaft of light broke across his feet and the bell went higher and higher. He pushed out his feet and he heard his joints crack as he did so. Then the bell was lifted high enough for him to creep out, but his limbs were too stiff to move.

The morning was perfectly still, even the birds had not begun to twitter, and he could hear the cracking of the bell-rope as he sat there, the clapper resting on his breast. But the rope cracked again and the bell was slowly descending so he managed to roll out on to his chest and work himself out of the bell and still kept hold of the clapper encased in the red velvet bonnet. The bell fell silently into it's place and the clapper hung loose. He placed the bonnet into his breast pocket.

When Mary had mounted the steps he stood upright before her with his hand upon his heart and gave her a most courtly bow. She stood before him in her simple satin gown and her golden hair done lightly over it's rolls making a frame for the beautiful. cameo-like face and he bowed again saying, “Good morning fair dame. To thee I owe the sight of this day's light. May those bright eyes never shed tears for thy kinsmen in distress" and again he bowed before her.

She had carried the nun's dress over her arm and she now held it out to him saying, “Good morrow Sir. Now sir, thou had better put on this robe and then you can cross the fields for as to-day is the Lord’s Day the people will come to worship early and we must away. And Mary the Holy Mother protect thee and turn thy heart back to the
faith of thy fathers”.

The Prince quickly put on the gown and was ready to follow his deliverer out into the chill morning air. Not a living thing was to be seen as they crossed the fields behind the Church to the house of Ralph Mason, Yeoman, the father of Mary. All was still here. They went round to the back of the house. and pointing to a bay mare she said “Take the mare, it is my own and thou can'st go across these fields to Eshton where thou wilt find some of thy Company also thine own steed and my mare will find her way back if thou hast not further need of her. So take it, thou hast no time to lose.”

Then throwing off the gown of the nun he mounted the mare and lifting his hat he rode off and was soon out of sight behind the trees and Mary slowly turned into the house. It was still early In the day and she could scarcely realise that it was only a few hours since she had left her bed. It had looked years almost. So much seemed to have happened. Mary was first in the Church that day and after she had replaced the gown and scapulary in the place she had found them she went up to the belfry and with the besom she found there she removed all footprints from the dusty floor and none told their beads so earnestly and so devoutly as did Mary Mason on that Sabbath morning in October 1646.

The troublesome times continued and Mary Mason entered the cloister and became one of the most devout and saintly of women. It was her hand that often smoothed the pillow of the dying and helped to uplift the fallen. Her gold hair had been replaced
By the white bands around the now more beautiful though more sorrowful face making it look more cameo-like than before, so saintly and white in its repose. Though sometimes it bore a look of regret or repentance as she knelt before the altar at her prayers.

The war was almost over and the country was becoming calmer when one day several horsemen could be seen crossing the field towards the church, but when they reached. the door of Ralph Mason's farm the leader of the little band dismounted and begged an audience with the farmer. When the Prince (for it was he) returned, his face wore a drawn grey look, and as he bid his courtiers wait for him, he wended his way to the church. It was with weary and leaden feet that he went through the churchyard and found his way into the aisle that led to the altar. As he did so a white-gowned figure approached him and motioned him to follow her into a tiny room where hung a crucifix and where burned several lighted candies around a white shrouded figure of which the nun turned down the coverlet, and disclosed the dead face of ST MARY MASON.

The Prince fell on his knees beside the still figure and the sister discreetly withdrew and took up her post outside the vestry door. While inside the strong man wept and kissed the dead hands crossed so devoutly over her breast. Then he stood besides the head of the figure and pictured that dear dead face as he first saw it with it's little velvet bonnet and an uncontrollable wish to see it again as he had once seen it came over him. He tore away the white bands and drew the little velvet bonnet from his bosom and gently put it in their place and he kissed the cold brow and lips and great sobs shook him as he clasped the sleeping form to his heart When the sister returned he held up a warning finger as he laid the body down again and the num made it straight and re-adjusted the pure white bands around the marble-like face and the Prince was gone.

Amongst the Crown Jewels of England is a small crown with the top part of brown velvet and no one (except the Royal Family) up to now knew that the velvet with its border of almost priceless jewels was the small pointed bonnet of a yeoman’s daughter.

But it is a fact can be verified if one can only see the chronicles of the family which say “The Prince Rupert entering to the monastery where he died, caused the Church of Gill to be rebuilt and hereafter dedicated to St. Mary Mason who should have been the consort of Prince Rupert, who gave up all claim to the throne, not caring to bear
the crown without it sharing it with the woman to whom he owed his life.

Prince Rupert died a catholic with the hope of joining again the maiden who risked so much to save an unbeliever and an enemy to her church through her loyalty to her king. The crown, with it's little velvet top is supposed to be a talisman against evil and when any important papers are to be signed or strange people to be met it is always worn. And so far it has proved itself so for no one has ever come to disaster who has worn the little pointed bonnet of the Yeoman’s Daughter, ST,_MARY MASON.

BEFORE CONCLUDING, the wrier here calls back a few historic facts which have been hitherto omitted, namely:
In 1843, or about that time the first ‘Lucifer’ matches were brought into Crowfoot Row by George Livsey who had returned from ‘livering-in’ his hand loom pieces at Colne. This caused a flutter of wonderment and curiosity in the town. These matches were tied up in small bundles and were slivers of wood with a tip of brimstone at the end and why they are called ‘Lucifers’ is suggestive of their connection with Lucifer’s majesty. However, matches in small boxes soon became very popular and the old flint and steel and tinderbox, which had hitherto served their purpose became a thing of the past.

1850. BOBBBY WATERWORTH, a Barlick shoemaker, was also a composer of music. He published a ‘tune book’ containing Hymn Tunes, Chants and Responses. He was the father of the late James Waterworth, Shoemaker of Church Lane, Barnoldswick.

1852. Old Tom Jolly (Hewitson) the Blacksmith at Butts Top was said to be a reformed man and an Evangelic connected with the Benevolents, and when he gave up his trade he kept a sort of day-school in a room under the Chapel at Townhead. School fees one penny per week.

1853. The Archbishop of the West Indies, the Right Rev Enos Nuttall, spent his early days in this Parish. He is the son of the late James Nuttall of the middle cottage of the three just over the Canal Bridge at Coates. He attended the Butts School until he was about 13 years of age.

1850. Bracewell Boarding School. Under the tuition of the Rev. Thomas Hayes, Vicar, sent forth several good scholars, including Clergymen, and also the late Astronomer Royal for Scotland, Sir Ralph Copeland, who held that eminent position on Colton Hill Edinburgh before the observatory was removed to outside the City on Black-man Hill, where he died a few years ago. Mr. Copeland was a native of Shropshire and cousin to his first wife, Miss Susannah Milner of the Vicarage, Barnoldswick.

1860. Wagonette. Bob Burrass (Eastwood) was the first to introduce this class of vehicle and in addition to Weddings and Buryings he did a good business in taking school and other parties for long drives outside the town.

Old shows and waxworks exhibitions and various other kinds of shows were well patronised by the young folk while even Sam Bell and old Neddy and old Eck and old Demaine were never absent. (the old shows were called ‘jackanapes’)

Kit Wigglesworth of Syke House could boast how he saw a Boggart on Henhouse Brow but he kept the real secret to himself.

Old Wilfred of Stainton Hall was the most popular ghost story in days of yore.

While old Dicky Waddington of Pikeley Fields could tell some serious tales about the Boggarts at Tosbar Syke.

Old Jacky at Doctors was the only twine manufacturer in Barlick and Gillions Lane was his place of business.

Old William Thornber was a keen and a good fisherman. He lived in the Butts and owned the Hill Top Farm. He would go as far as Howgill for a nice basket of trout and Clogger's Beck was often visited by him.

Old Tommy Atkinson could sometimes catch a trout in Butts Beck and one day the writer told him of a ‘snig’ (eel) which he soon secured.. That fish was twenty inches long. Just fancy. (Butts beck over 70 years ago)

Coates Old Mill where some kind of ‘Supping Stuff’ was made in the gas house which had a strong flavour of whisky. This was done on the sly by two of the workpeople and we may suppose that a ‘wee drap’ was very good on a ‘Cold and frosty morning’.

Barlick Annual Merry Neet of jollification (This has no connection with the colour of hair required for wishing good luck on ‘New Year's Morn’) Merry Neet was held on the fourteenth day of January and called ‘Old New Year's Day’ the same as the 7th of January was called ‘Old Christmas Day’. This was brought about by our country adopting the new style Kalendar of Pope Gregory XIII which had been in force on the Continent since it's introduction in the sixteenth century whereby at this time England’s Kalendar varied eleven days from the rest of Europe.

By the Statute of 1751, these days were dropped out of the month of September in 1752 and the old style was discontinued. Hence it was that some folk could not understand the reason why such a change was necessary and thought they had been cheated out of the days so dropped. Barlick’s Merry Neet lost its charms and its reminiscence of Sir Roger de Coverly over half a century ago.

BARNOLDSWICK possesses natural privileges which are peculiar to itself. Namely that wherever you live or in whatever part of the town you reside you may be set free from the bustle of busy life in ten minutes and enjoy a bit of fresh air and country scenery although within the last twenty five years this privilege has been somewhat curtailed by the rapid building extensions. Nevertheless the same facilities held good although to a lesser degree. And all these privileges are by nature the heritage of the residents and as such may be truly prized. Namely, the dozens of public footpaths which converge on the town in almost every direction. And the numerous beautiful and quiet country lanes, be the same rough or smooth, where one may take their leisure in peaceful retirement and without fear of being molested or endangered by new and Modern travelling machinery.

In 1870 the inhabitants of Barlick were deprived of one of those beautiful footpaths ‘all through the fields and meadows gay’. This was half a mile long commencing in Newtown and terminating on the canal towpath between Coates and Eastwood Bridges. The new railway line crossed this footpath about one hundred and fifty yards from it's entrance was used as a pretext for the closure of the full length of the same. This was considered to be a lost privilege although one which few dared to contest, in those days of ‘mum and hush’ or ‘Tubber Hill’. The foot-path just mentioned was invariably called by old folk thus:- ‘Down Jack Shutt Fields to Coates’ the Shutt being or said to be owners of Wellhouse Farm. Previous to the same becoming the property of the ‘Bracewells’ after which Old Tom Slater farmed this land, and the path gradually changed its name to ‘down Tom Slater's fields’. The respected old Grandfather of our worthy townsman, Mr Samuel Slater.

THE DISTRICT OF CRAVEN in which this Parish is situated extends about thirty miles Southwards from the sources of the Ribble and Wharfe (Cam Fell) to the border of Lancashire and includes the first twenty miles in the course of the Aire and the whole fertile district from Bingley to Mytton. The Deanery of Craven embraces 55 parishes which number has considerably increased as a result of many sub-divisions of parishes.

For the sake of those who take an interest in the present article we here insert a table showing the different altitudes of a few of the best known places and elevations in the Parish and taken from the latest ordnance map of this district.

(All in feet above sea level)
Weets 1300
Lister Well 1100
Brown Hill 826
Tubber Hill 775
Recreation Ground (Men’s shelter) 725
Church Street (broad arrow on steeple 547
Canal towing path 488
The Hospital 475
Near Broad Ing Bridge 440

It will be understood that the altitudes in the Parish vary from a little below 440 feet up to 1300 feet above sea level and this gives a clear variation of over 860 feet. So that plenty of scope is given for the exercise of those who enjoy a bit of ‘dree’ climbing and are gifted with a good pair lungs and a desire for exercise and fresh air followed by an appetite ‘as hungry as a hunter’.

Just a few of the most prominent mountains and hills as seen from the Weets and the recreation Ground. From Weets may be seen Blackpool Tower and Big Wheel looking due West over Chatburn and. Clitheroe while in this direction are Pendle Hill. (I,831 feet above sea level) Longridge Fell (1,149 feet) Barlack Pike (1,7011 feet) while more to the right are Waddington and Grindleton Fells and North is Ingleborough and Pennighent and from the wall-side looking over Harden are Cowling Pinnacles and more south to Boolsworth (1,700 feet) Other views will be
obtained from Recreation Ground Shelter, the most popular resort.

The Weets does not give much view Eastward not even of Barlick (from its highest point) However a good view Eastwards is obtainable from Brown Hill while some of the Lake District Hills can be seen on a clear day looking through the hollow at the foot of Little Ingleborough to the left of same from Weets.

Recreation Ground (Men’s Shelter) views which may be seen from other hills but reserved for this favoured resort starting on the extreme left are Harrop Moor and various hills and fells in Bowland Forest. While a little more north can be seen Croasdale Fell (1.433 feet) Bowland Knotts and Whelpstone Crags and further north is Ingleborough with its flat top (2,373 feet) while more to the right is Simon’s Fell and still more so is the highest mountain to be seen from this place, Little Whernside (2,414 feet) with its rounded top and the distance of 26 miles as the crow flies deceives the eye as this mountain seems lower than its neighbour, Ingleborough. While due to the North (but much nearer here) are the Settle and Malham Range of
Hills with Rye Loaf Hill (1,794 feet) the little knoll which crowns this range can be seen as well from the corner of Church Street direct north. While more still to the right are Fountains Fell (2.191 feet) and Darnbrook Fell (2,048 feet) next comes Great Whernside (2,310 feet) near Kettlewell and almost in a line with Gargrave. Then comes Rylstone Fell (of White Doe fame) and Flasby Fell and Sharpah and Crookrise then Embsay Crag and due east is Simon’s Seat (1,592 feet)

These last named places may be seen from outside the Men’s Shelter, and this brings us to the end of the crescent of irregular mountains. While the country itself is equally interesting to all admirers of beautiful and varied Landscape Scenery, the most noteworthy of which is Malham Cove.

There are a few grand old houses in the Parish. Coates Hall is a fine old mansion. Gill House is an ancient Mullion windowed spacious building and there are also several similar specimens of Farm Houses on a smaller scale. The oldest ‘bit of mason’s work’ in Barnoldswick is to be seen at the old house dated. 1714 (before mentioned) off King Street in the back lane, namely the top stones on the wall which have a mould on the edge and are a very quaint old style.

About the highest inhabited house in the parish is Duck Pond. This plot of swampy moorland was purchased over sixty years ago by Mr Gregory a leather merchant of Burnley who had the same cultivated, drained and manured with boat loads of Guano which came from Liverpool to Coates. And thus the once happy rendezvous of the wild duck became a farm with all the necessary buildings and a dwelling house which formed the residence of Old Gregory who ended his days in that solitary and peaceful region ‘so near the sky’.

WATERSHEDS. The major part of Barnoldswick Parish is in the Ribblesdale while a very considerable area is in Airedale including almost the whole of the township of Salterforth. While a small part of Barnoldswick Urban District Council is also in Airedale. This lies to the left of Tubber Hill, Dye House and most part of Higher and Lower Park and across to Barnsay.

BROGDEN TOWNSHIP is entirely In Ribblesdale.

COATES TOWNSHIP is in both dales, Aire and Ribble. While this parish (Barnoldswick) contributes to three rivers, a small stream from Sandyford joining the Calder thus running round the South side of Pendle Hill and joining the Ribble from the North side of Mytton on its course to Preston.

SALTERFORTH. Which may be said to be deprived of some of its natural rainfall by the canal and also (according to information) by the introduction of a drain on or near Moss Farm the water of which was originally conveyed under the canal and into Salterforth stream.

THE WEETS contributes most of its rainfall to Barnoldswick while the western slopes go down to Smithies Bridge, Sawley and the Northern slopes form the source of Foul Syke this brook having no real spring is sometimes entirely dried up during a long drought. The writer has seen Mr Ignatius Crook of Aynhams Farm fetch water for weeks during these times with horse and cart containing tubs from Lane Bottom for his cattle and domestic use.

THE LISTER WELL AND WHITE HOUSE AND HALL SPOUT. Three good springs almost entirely contribute their support to the Leeds and Liverpool Canal.

Therefore, we are bound to confess that Barnoldswick people are greatly Indebted to the two excellent springs, Dark Hill and Swansey Carr, Lane Bottom which are in themselves a source of wealth-producing energy and also NATURAL BLESSINGS.

It may also be said that about one half the weaving sheds are supplied by canal water.

OLDEN TIMES. It may also be interesting to remind present day readers of a few facts and reminiscences which existed in Old Barlick before the 1850s. There were no stationer’s shops only a small cottage near Pear Trees, Townhead and if you wanted a lead pencil or copy-book or steel pens you had to travel to Townhead for them. All clothing, both for male and female had to be ordered before-hand as none was to be had at the shops. While clogs and shoes came under the same category. Stockings, chiefly home knit. All bread made at home, no bakeries in the town excepting Oatcake bakeries. No kinds of tinned fruits, or jam jars, or bully beef, or any such eatables was to be had at the shops. House-wives boiled goose berries &c coming from the gardens, only two-pence a quart. No tomatoes, celery, bananas, dates or any kind of fancy eatables was procurable. No packet of bacca of any kind
but only Skipton loose cut shag bacca. Hundreds of people in Barlick could neither read nor write. No Road Steam Roller, the broken stones requiring months to settle on the roads. No dentists or false teeth. No Railways, no motors or charabancs no bikes or prams or wringing or sewing machines. No Gas or Gas ovens and a [dearth of] many other useful articles. And still the fact remains that even without all the aforesaid commodities the Inhabitants lived and died and begat sons and daughters in Old Bar1ick.

This little history, now concluded in its present form was not intended to introduce into its pages at all the modern scientific developments social, domestic or commercial. With all the hundred and one wonderful improvements which have come into use for the benefit, comfort and enjoyment of present and future generations. All this we may truly say has been accomplished and realized within the living memory of middle-aged people of the present day and one may now look back with pleasurable satisfaction upon the results of increased prosperity which is to be seen, not only in the town itself, but also in the suburbs and outskirts of the same which are adorned by those lovely dwelling places, the likes of which were, up to 1885, not even dreamt of in Old Barlick. And not to mention the number of miniature millionaires and other equally worthy citizens for fear that any such remarks might be misconstrued as tainted with flattery in so doing.

Thus, while not claiming any educational attainment to perfection, nevertheless I am pleased to think that I have in some degree succeeded in what were my primary motives which prompted me to record what seemed to have been, up to this time, either neglected or otherwise considered unworthy of attention by more eloquent persons than myself. Namely. OLD BARLICK HISTORY.

This having now been accomplished in a simple and homely manner, and with the kindest regards to all those ancestor’s names may have been used as a name to illustrate what was intended. Thereby I sincerely trust that this little work will be accepted in the same friendly spirit in which it has been written.

Since the last of Loomology were made there have been a number of changes of manufacturers. Some by total retirement from business, others from compulsion or misfortune, Mr. Hartley of Thornton has extended his sheeting business to a large part of Crow Nest Shed. F. Suthers and Sons are now manufacturers at Wellhouse Shed. A firm named Petersons have started at Long Ing Shed and there may have been changes at other places.


[Transcribed from two versions of the original manuscript by Stanley Challenger Graham in April 2004. 41,090 words]
Author Replies  
Local Historian & Old Fart

36804 Posts
Posted - 09/11/2004 : 13:51
I've pulled the second part of Old Barlick back into the top ten because from the stats it would seem that a lot of people have either missed it or been too fatigued to go on from the first part.

Stanley Challenger Graham

Barlick View
stanley at Go to Top of Page
Keeper of the Scrolls

2010 Posts
Posted - 09/11/2004 : 15:13
I'll put a link into this document from the Part 1 Document so they can navigate to it more easily.Go to Top of Page
Local Historian & Old Fart

36804 Posts
Posted - 09/11/2004 : 16:43
What a good idea. Thanks Doc. It's a wonderful document and such a good starter for anyone looking at Barlick history.

Stanley Challenger Graham

Barlick View
stanley at Go to Top of Page
Keeper of the Scrolls

2010 Posts
Posted - 18/01/2005 : 00:49
Bump - Its a Good ReadGo to Top of Page
Senior Member

4249 Posts
Posted - 19/01/2005 : 11:46
It was a Great Read. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank You.

All thru the fields and meadows gay  ....  Enjoy   
Take Care...Cathy Go to Top of Page
Local Historian & Old Fart

36804 Posts
Posted - 09/11/2007 : 09:53
Worth reminding visitors that this, and part one, are on the site.

Stanley Challenger Graham

Barlick View
stanley at Go to Top of Page
Silver Surfer

6860 Posts
Posted - 30/10/2011 : 13:51
Thought this needed an airing for people who have not seen it. May be of interest to geneologists too.

Say only a little but say it well Go to Top of Page
Local Historian & Old Fart

36804 Posts
Posted - 31/10/2011 : 06:28
I published it as an illustrated book as well as transcribing it for the site. Available on if anyone wants a copy.

Stanley Challenger Graham

Barlick View
stanley at Go to Top of Page

Set us as your default homepage Bookmark us Privacy   Copyright © 2004-2011 All Rights Reserved. Design by: Frost Go To Top Of Page

Page load time - 1.375